Thursday, November 17, 2011

Occupy My Uterus

Traditional Chinese Medicine defines placenta previa as Sinking Qi. The objective of treatment is to raise Qi, promote a calm fetus and prevent or stop bleeding. Traditional Chinese Medicine uses two techniques in combination to treat the condition. The first is an herbal medicine, Bu Zhong Yi Qi Tang, which raises Qi. This treatment is also used to prevent miscarriages. The second technique is acupuncture via Du 20 accupoint on the top of the head.

Betts, D. (2006).  Acupuncture in Pregnancy and Childbirth. Hove: The Journal of Chinese Medicine Ltd. // holistickid.com

I am treating Placenta Previa

Now I know what you must be thinking. You must be thinking I'm out my pretty little mind for considering paying someone to put needles in my head. Maybe that's actually what I AM thinking and not what you're thinking. But in either case, it's a safe therapy that can't do any harm. The problem for me wouldn't be so much a psychological barrier to alternative therapy. Rather, it would be the alternative cost. Sadly, my insurance doesn't cover Traditional Chinese Medicine. But it does cover addictive deadly narcotics and life threatening major surgeries. ;)


Viva la RĂ©sistance


I did find a possible place to start exploring acupuncture. Using my master Googling skills, I happened upon www.acuhealing.org which is apparently run by a M.D. who also practices Traditional Chinese Medicine. So I sent the clinic an email and I'll probably call them in the morning. Although I'm almost sure it's not in my budget, it can't hurt to check it out.

4 comments:

  1. Yeah medical insurance is a trip. Check out Dr. Mercola's site and Natural News for natural foods to help with your pregnancy issues. And be sure to get plenty of Vitamin D3, like TONS of it (and i'm talking 10,000 IU)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll look at them now. Thanks Aly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    I have complete placenta previa at 27 weeks and also found the two techniques that you listed above online. I have started receiving community acupuncture (which is much less expensive :-)) paying close attention to Du 20 and was about to order bu zhong yi qi tang online. Have you tried either with any result?
    Hope all is well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Christina :) I didn't get to try them because here they're both out of my budget. It's a real bummer that alternative treatments aren't even partially covered by my insurance. I have been using some acupressure and yoga techniques though. I will be posting about them soon. Let me know how your situation works out. I'd love to hear how the treatments worked for you.

    ReplyDelete

Announcement: If you've returned to see your comment missing, it's because I've recently uninstalled the Intense Debatable widget due to it's incompatibility with Internet Explorer. You're comments were received, read and appreciated. I hope this minor technical change doesn't deter you from commenting in the future and thank you for following my blog. Your support is valuable to me.